Can we just take a moment to appreciate the egg…..
I mean, is there no simpler, silky, decadent taste then a well cooked egg?
Deviled, fried, hard boiled, scrambled and my favourite. Poached.
Something that seems so simple as a poached egg, can make a meal feel so indulgent.
I have no idea why I waited so long to take on my first ever poached egg this past weekend.
When I first approached this, I was a little intimated. How could I make a poached egg, when it looks so delicate, and I am
no delicate flower. I am one of the clumsiest people you can know. I without fail spill at every meal, run into everything, and
was even gifted a bib for my birthday from my husband 6 months into dating.
Well people, I did it. I successfully poached an egg, and so can you.
I served my poached egg over an avocado base on light rye, with sea salt, fresh cracked black pepper and chili flakes. (I couldn’t resist a nibble)
Optional: Top off your egg with some fresh arugula for a peppery taste.
Perfectly Poached Egg on Rye with Avocado
Yield: 1 Serving
- 1 Tablespoon Vinegar
- 2 Large [Fresh] Eggs
- 1 medium Avocado
- 1 Teaspoon Chili Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- 2 Slices Light Rye
- Handful Fresh Arugula [Optional]
- In a medium pot, combined water with 1 Tablespoon of Vinegar over medium heat until light simmer. Once water has come to a simmer, use the end of your slotted spoon to create a whirlpool movement in the water.
- Take your eggs, one at a time and crack into a small bowl or cup. Gently place the egg into the water, ensuring that whirlpool movement is still happening for the egg white to envelope the yoke. Add the remaining egg immediately after.
- Once both eggs are in the simmering water, turn off the heat and leave eggs to cook for 2 minutes.
- While the eggs are cooking, toast your rye bread.
- Take the avocado and mash onto a plate.
- Once the eggs are cooked, remove with slotted spoon and lay on paper towel. (No one likes soggy bread)
- Add the avocado evenly to both pieces of rye, top with a dash of sea salt, pepper and chili flakes.
- Place egg carefully on top of the avocado on toast. Add Sea Salt and Pepper to egg. [Optional: You can add fresh arugula on top if desired]
- Cut & Enjoy this simple pleasure.