Brown Butter and sage. Do I need to say more?
This recipe is something that I normally wouldn’t make. We try to make healthy choices daily with our meals, but every now and then you need to splurge and have a delicious, silky brown butter pasta.
This is the perfect Friday night meal, it is yummy and quick [I was a lone ranger for dinner tonight, so I did not need to add any extra protein that Bryan would be expecting, which helps with the cooking time.]
This sauce contains only THREE ingredients, and the whole meal from start to finish can be whipped up in under 15 minutes.
Look at that delicious butter simmering away….soon you will develop beautiful brown morsels that will coat the ravioli perfectly.
Just keep whisking, just keep whisking….whisk whisk whisk whisk whisk….
Now I used premade, fresh pumpkin ravioli since I wanted a quick meal after a long week of work. If you have the ambition to make your own ravioli all the power to you! I took the easy way out……this time
For this recipe we are using sage, which pairs well with the rich brown butter sauce.
It is always good to make sure the herbs you are buying are as fresh as they can be without coming out of your garden, the colour and smell can be a huge indicator which out shopping. [Side note, I tried my own garden last year and it did not turn out as planned. More on that later.]
MMMM Look at that ravioli being coated with the golden brown butter sauce. Do you see the brown morsels I was talking about on the pan? Yup that is what we call brown butter! So simple and completely changes the flavor profile.
Pumpkin Ravioli with Brown Butter Sage Sauce – Recipe by Jenny McFarlane
Prep time: 5 minute Cook time: 10 Minutes Total time: 15 Minutes Yield: 2 Servings
- 1 Package Fresh Pumpkin Ravioli
Fresh Pumpkin Ravioli
- 4 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Sage [Plus more for garnish]
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Parmigiano-Reggiano for garnish
- Boil water for the ravioli and cook pasta per directions noted. Fresh ravioli normally takes a few minutes, or until it rises to the town of the water.
- While the water is boiling, start your brown butter sauce. Cut the butter into 4 tablespoon pieces. place one piece of butter into a medium sized pan on medium heat, whisk sauce continuously while simmering. When butter has melted add the next piece of butter. Add the chopped sage into the pan, and remaining butter. Continue whisking sauce, and add lemon juice. Add the pasta directly to the pan, with a tablespoon or two of pasta water to help the sauce stick to your pasta.
- Once pasta is coated remove from heat and serve. Top with chopped sage leaves, black pepper and freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Serve with arugula salad with simple lemon and olive oil dressing.